.: Federal Troops on the Niagara Frontier :.         
  The Buffalo Barracks              .: 1837-1846 :.
   Rare & Interesting Facts:

Roman Schlitzer

Roman was born on July 30, 1814 at Heinzel, in Hesse and immigrated first to Buffalo, where he joined the Army at the Buffalo Barracks as a musician. He married and his first two children were born there. He then went from Buffalo to Fort Columbus at Governors Island. He went to Rochester, New York in 1844 and was joined by Schlitzer family members. In all four Schlitzer brothers, a sister, and several cousins immigrated to Rochester. Roman started a business with a boarding house, expanded it to a store and then to a block containing several commercial buildings. Roman was a successful and wealthy merchant and there is a Schlitzer street in front of the original location of his store. Roman died on Sept. 17, 1870.

Roman Schlitzer Obituary
Roman Schlitzer, old and respected citizen of Rochester, died at 56 of dropsy. He was a native of Germany and came to the US in 1837. In 1844 he located in Rochester and resided here thereafter. Among early German settlers, he was industrious and frugal in his habit and by attention to business accumulated property. He bought a lot at the corner of Clinton and Andrews and erected a small building in which he conducted grocery. In time he tore down the building and erected on the site what is known as the Schlitzer block. He was an upright man and held the respect of fellow citizens of all nationalities. He leaves a widow and nine children, all of adult age.

Leo Schlitzer

Leo was born in 1809 at Heinzel, in Hesse and immigrated first to Buffalo, where he joined the Army at the Buffalo Barracks as a musician, playing percussion. He continued in the Army serving in military bands, and on the ship North Carolina. He came to Rochester in 1847 to join family members already established in the large German community. In all four Schlitzer brothers, a sister, and several cousins immigrated. He earned his living as a musician and also as a grocer. He died at 72 years of age of congestion of the lungs, following bronchitis. Leo died on June 19, 1881.

Leo Schlitzer Obituary
Yesterday morning an old and respected citizen of Rochester, Leo Schlitzer passed quietly away from this life to enter that to come at his late residence No. 54S St. Paul St. Mr. Schlitzer was a native of the mountainous region of central Germany Hesse- Camel where he was born in 1809, 72 years ago. In early youth he came to this country and being a fine musician engaged in the marine band service of the government and was for five years on the old ship North Carolina. He was one of the band that played in the reception of Lafayette in this country over 50 years ago. After that he was several years as a musician in the Army under General Scott. In 1847, he came to Rochester, where he has since lived. Under Professor Halloway and the late Professor Barron he was identified with several bands, orchestras and musical organizations and enterprises. For 15 or 20 years he filled a place in the orchestra of the St. Paul St. theater now called the opera house. Everywhere he was known and esteemed as a genial kind hearted old soul and everyone who knew him well experienced feelings of regret and sadness, on learning of the death of one who through song had done so much for the amusement and gratification of others. Deceased was married twice and leaves a widow and 4 daughters, 3 married, 1 widowed. The funeral will take place from the residence at 8 tomorrow morning and from St. Joseph at 8:30.

Schlitzer information was graciously submitted to this web site by:
Mary Ann Abella - Sept.15, 1999 - of Chicago, IL

John Hoag

John's record is filled with affadavits and his personal letters requesting the penion which he did receive. On the Claim of a Survivor of the Mexican War for Pension, he is seventy years old at the time, it is stated that he sent his Discharge Certificate to Washington, DC, for which he received a Land Warrant, #74214 (we have the original Land Warrant for 160 acres). He received land in the Township of Mukwa, Waupaca County, Wisconsin. He married at Fond du Lac, WI in 1853 to Catharine Keefe. It states the various engagements his command participated: Vera Cruz, Cerro Gordo, Contreras, Churubusco, Molino Del Rey, Chapultepec, and taking of Mexico City. It further states that he was born in Chatham, England, September 13, 1816; 5 feet 6 1/2 inches high, fair complexion, and is a farmer. His occupation before or at time of enlistment is listed as laborer. There is also a paper from the War Department, Adjutant General's Office, dated April 13, 1894, which verifies the fact that he did enlist on July 28, 1846, at Buffalo, NY and was assigned to Company A, 4th Regiment of U.S. Infantry. Muster Roll Aug. 31/51 reports him: Discharged July 28, 1851 at Fort Mackinac, Mich., by expiration of service, a private. This was respectfully returned to the Commissioner of Pensions. It is signed for George D. Ruggles by F.H.S. He received $8.00 per month as his pension commencing January 29, 1887. He died April 7, 1900 of pneumonia in the Town of Mukwa, Waupaca County, WI, and is buried in St. Patrick's Cemetary, Town of Lebanon, WI.

Jeremiah Carver

[Written to John CARVER in Canada]
Jefferson Bks Augt 23rd 1849
Dr Cousin I take my pen in hand after a lapse of Some time hoping these few lines will fing you enjoying good health which is more than I can say at present I took a notion to be a Soldier and enlisted in the 7th regt [regiment] U.S.A. in may 1848 and I have every reason to be Satisfied for so doing we get everything in the way of living provided for us a Sufficient quantity of good clothing and Seven dollars a Month one dollar a Month being stopped until the expiration of our time which will leave 60 dollars & 160 acres of land & travelling expenses to Buffalo where I enlisted I am keeping nyself Steady and trying to Save a little to help me to get a decent livelihood after my Servitude of five years Dr Cousin please to write & let me know if you have had a letter from my parents if you have let me know how the {y} are getting along write soon as you receive this we are under orders for florida & do not know the day we may get the rout [e] for it, I have travelled the States South & West Since I seen you & hope to recover from it as I am in a very good way to do it, if we do not go away before Spring I will get leave & come and See the folks. give my love & best respects to All enquiring friends and let them know that I have had very good health except a little rheumatism which I will soon get the better of. the Cholera has been very bad within 12 miles of us & we had not a case of it & we were over eight hundred strong in the garrison. give my love to James Bushell & hope to see him once more
No more at present from your affectionate Cousin
Jeremiah G. Carver
PS. Direct your letter to me K Co 7th Infanty U.S.A. Jefferson Bks Mo.

Carver information was graciously submitted to this web site by:
Harvey Carver - Novemebr 18, 1999 - of Hamilton, Ont. Canada

William Jenkins Worth did not live to see the army post that bore his name. Fort Worth, TX grew from a collection of military buildings constructed by the U.S. Army's Co. F, 2nd Dragoons, into the nation's 28th largest city.

Henry Kip, of the Buffalo City Guards, one day during a competition drill with the Regular Artillery, lost a thumb, when he accidentally had it upon the touch hole of a firing cannon.

Lt. Barry married a Miss McKnight, of Buffalo. At one point, during the Civil War, he was Chief of Artillery.

Lt. Woodruff "carried away one of the city's finest, Miss Meyhew."

Capt. Simpson married the daughter of Commodore Champin.

Lt. Hoffman, Lt. Long, and Lt. Burnett, were married to the three sister's of Martha Fitch Poole, of Buffalo.

Lt. John Sedgwick was wounded on two seperate occasions during the Civil War and returned to battle both times.

Across from the Buffalo Barracks sat the Old North Street Cemetery, at the corner of North and Delaware Avenue. All of it's occupants were relocated to Forest Lawn!

Capt. Alburtis was later killed in the battle of Vera Cruz, Mexico, when his "head was carried away by a cannon shot!"

Lt. Henry L. Kendrick returned to the Military Academy at West Point to eventually become Director of the Chemistry and Geosciences Departments.

James Monroe Bankhead was married to Anne Pyne. He died on November 11, 1856. The family consisted of four sons; James Monroe (Midshipman 1834-37), John Pyne, Commander of the USS Monitor in 1862, Smith Pyne and Henry Cary; and two daughters, Honora Smith and Elizabeth Isabella. Their youngest son, Henry Cary, who was only about 10 years old while at the Buffalo Barracks, graduated from the USMA in 1850, and eventually earned the rank of Brevet Brigadier-General. His brother, Smith Pyne Bankhead, became a General for the CSA.

The Delaware Avenue side of the mansion was actually the rear of the building during the barracks days. The columns, which may be the originals, were removed from the quadrangle side of the building; the front having faced inward, toward the parade ground.

Later, in Louisville, Jefferson Columbus Davis would assassinate General "Bull" Nelson over a dispute concerning defense stratigies. Nelson slapped Davis (a higher ranking officer) in the face, in front of wittnesses. Davis left, only to borrow a friend's pistol, and returned to the hall and shot Nelson point blank in the chest. Davis's honor was at stake, and he literally got away with murder. He was allowed to continue his military career, in a very honorable and respected manor!

John Clifford Pemberton would later meet face to face with General Grant at the end of the seige of Vicksburg.

Charles F. Smith led the assualt up the western side of Federation Hill, through waist high swamps, during the War with Mexico. Later, as Brigadier General during the Civil War, he died of complications from a severe leg injury he recieved when stepping off a freighter in Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee.

Copyright © 2006-2014 BUFFALONET.org. All rights reserved.